Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:32:17 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ouch... (DEVFS)

Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi!
>
> After your today's patches I went much further - the system is running
> almost ok, except the following (again - repeatable 100%) panic.
>
> panic: isa_dmacheck: no physical page present
>
> db> tr
> _Debugger()
> _panic()
> _isa_dmarangecheck()
> _isa_dmastart()
> _fdstate()
> _fdintr()
> Xresume6()
> --- interrupt
> _default_halt()
>
> The recipe to get this is as follows:
>
> * mount an FFS floppy:
>         mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
> * unmount it:
>         umount /mnt
>   You'll get a kernel message saying:
>
> fd0: probing for MBR.. rejected.. Slice includes MBR nope
> fd0: probing for disklabel.. yep
>         part 0, start=0, size=2880
>         part 1, start=0, size=2880
> dkl: slice 1 overlaps slice 0
>
> * now try to mount an MSDOS floppy:
>         mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
> Now you get the panic.

I'll try it tonight.

> * What happened with /dev/fd0c ??? DEVFS doesn't create it - I usually
> mounted floppies using this device... It doesn't create them 'on the fly'
> either. Hmm... Could it be possible that DEVFS create needed device nodes
> (if possible, i.e. if there was really a disklabel or something) when the
> name is first used, and when the underlying medium vanishes it could
> return 'device not configured' or something like this...

the 'c' partition (e.g. wd0c) is logically the same as the lower
layer device (e.g. wd0)
thus wd0s1c == wd0s1.
I therefore don't report them as I am hoping to one day "reclaim"
(in about 5 years) the 'c' partition from being special.

for mounting ufs  on a floppy you should use the 'a' partition.
(or just fd0) it is possible that the floppy should not try
partition itself at all, but just give out a 'fd0' entry and that's all.

> * I originally had /dev/modem -> /dev/cuaa0. What should I do now? (except
> recreating it every time the system starts...)

/etc/rc.devs not yet done but....

Set up sysmounse and moused and use that..
it allows you to use the mouse on the console as well.