Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:33:14 -0400
From:      "Isaac Waldron" <waldroni@lr.net>
To:        "FreeBSD-Stable List" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No /boot/loader (dangerously dedicated)

----- Original Message -----
From: David Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To: Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>; Doug White
<dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc: Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>; <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2000 3:42 PM

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2000, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > Doug White once stated:
> >
> > => Wait!  Smarter then  what?  So it  can  boot NT  and  Win98 for  some
> > => weenies, or,  actually do something  useful (not sure  what, though)?
> > => Why am I to waste space (even so little) "to be compatible with other
> > => OSes", if there will never be any other OSes?
> > =
> > =So you'll be compatible with your BIOS as well. Many BIOSen get really,
> > =really torqued if your partition table isn't normal.
> >
> > I'm yet to see a BIOS, for which this is true. May be, I'm just lucky...
> >
> > =It's a negligible amount of space.  Just say 'Yes'. :)
> >
> > Althouh, I'm delighted to see my opinion  matter so much :), I don't see
> > the benefit. Making  the loader smarter? To do what?  To play some silly
> > animations, while loading kernel? No thanks...
> >
> > -mi
>
> I have to agree with Mikhail.  On a dedicated server, there is no need to
> concern ourselves with future OS additions to the HD.  And I haven't had
any
> problems with BIOS's as old as IBM's from 1995, although I suspect that
some of
> Compaq's BIOS's may give rise to problems.  My one Compaq box gives a
warning
> about running a configuration utility to install Unix, but I can't find it
on
> their web site.  Leave the option as is; it ain't broken, don't fix it.
>
> dave

I recently graduated from high school, where I worked pretty closely with
the Technology Coordinator as to decisions about technology.  Unfortunately,
he was absolutely stuck on WinNT as the way to do his webserving and
what-not.  I eventually persueded him to let me try setting up a webserver
for the school on a 486 that we had kicking around.  I was pretty sure it
would be able to handle the load that we get, even though the school was
running NT 4 on a Pentium something or other.  To make a long story short,
when I tried installing FreeBSD on the HDD as a dedicated disk, the box went
haywire.  I think the BIOS was the problem, because it just wouldn't boot
the disk at all after that.  Well, after seeing me spend a whole day trying
to get it to work, he decided to stick with NT.  Now, my point is that
having a real partition table entry is probably a good idea, considering the
problems that can happen if you don't use one.  I think that the option for
a dedicated disk shouldn't even be presented in the novice install, one
should have to set an option in the appropriate screeen in sysinstall to get
a dangerously dedicated disk.

Isaac Waldron
waldroni (at) lr (dot) net