Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:28:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot loader problems with mix of wd and da

Mike Smith writes:
>This is the same as the old problem that required you to prefix a BIOS
>unit number offset to the 'sd' in the old loader.  You need to
>explicitly set $rootdev:
>
> set rootdev=da0s2a

In boot/boot.conf ?  It does not help.  The kernel still tries to
mount da2s2a as root.  This is without anything in boot.config, so
hopefully it's not confused about the bios unit numbers.  currdev is
disk3s2a, so it's correct.

>> So, why is currdev set differently in case 1 and case 2?
>Because you've supplied the '2', obviously enough.

 heh...obvious...I supplied 2 so loader sets it to disk1 instead of
  disk3...yipe!

>> Why does /boot/loader confuse the kernel into thinking there's a da2 on
>> which it might find root?
>Because you haven't told it not to.

 well I tried shouting "Yo, kernel, please don't mount root from
 devices we don't have" while it was booting, but this didn't seem to help
 either :->
--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com