Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 10:49:36 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
Cc:        questions list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with vi recover

Bob Willcox wrote:

> My system crashed while I had a number of unsaved changes to a file and
> unfortunately "vi -r myfile" fails for me.  When I try it I get:
>
> +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
> There are other files for you to recover; gipmain.c: modified: line 1.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 39; Error: unable to retrieve line 40.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 41; Error: unable to retrieve line 42.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 43; Error: unable to retrieve line 44.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 45; Error: unable to retrieve line 46.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 47; Error: unable to retrieve line 48.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 49; Error: unable to retrieve line 50.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 39; Error: unable to retrieve line 40.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 41; Error: unable to retrieve line 42.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 43; Error: unable to retrieve line 44.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 45; Error: unable to retrieve line 46.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 47; Error: unable to retrieve line 48.
> Error: unable to retrieve line 49; Error: unable to retrieve line 50
>
> errors repeated over and over and the vi process hangs (after allocating
> 258MB of memory).
>
> Does "vi -r" work for others?  Is it possible that I just have some
> kind of configuration error on my system?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated...I really don't want to have to recreate my changes! :-(

I've used vi -r on many occasions. One of my most memorable was trying
to edit a 50MB file on a Cray XM/P. One historical problem with vi is
that it can fill /tmp and if you don't catch it, nasty things will
happen. Could you have had an edit change get away from you and create
lines the system can't load because you have filled the filesystem
where vi is keeping its temp space.

Kent

> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> --
> Bob Willcox                 Have the courage to take your own thoughts
> bob@VIEO.com                seriously, for they will shape you.
> Austin, TX                        -- Albert Einstein

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com