Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 1996 17:02:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        WWWeb Administrator <webadmin@tseinc.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, jlwest@tseinc.com
Subject:   Re: Help! Trouble installing FreeBSD 2.1

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, WWWeb Administrator wrote:

> I am having trouble installing FreeBSD 2.1 on a new system.  When I try to
> install via FTP from a CD-ROM drive on my network or via ftp from
> www.freebsd.org, I get a message stating that it cannot find the bin/bin.aa
> file.  It appears to be getting the root filesystem from the CD.  If I put a
> Matsumi CD-ROM drive in the machine I am trying to install FreeBSD on, it
> works fine.  I am only loading FreeBSD on this machine.  What am I missing
> or doing WRONG.

The CD wasn't built to be directly mounted as an FTP site, ALTHOUGH IT
SHOULD (*hint hint*).  Problem is that stuff on the CD isn't in the same
place as it would on the real FTP site.  You probably have to move some
files around (root.flp comes to mind) to make it match an official ftp
site's organization.