Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:10:57 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD src repo transitioning to git this weekend

On Dec 22, 2020, at 1:39 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 05:46:35PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>>=20
>> The FreeBSD project will be moving it's source repo from subversion =
to git
>> starting this this weekend. The docs repo was moved 2 weeks ago. The =
ports
>> repo will move at the end of March, 2021 due to timing issues.
>>=20
>=20
> Is there some way to obtain git on a Pi2B running=20
> 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #2 r365692
> without installing the ports tree? I expected=20
> to find git in base, but it isn't there.=20
>=20
> Can it be found  under another package name?
>=20
> Thanks for reading, and any guidance!

Git (and git-lite) are available only in ports/packages at the moment.  =
For those wanting to track src via git, you need to install it from =
there.  I believe any plans for a git-compatible tool in base would be =
derived from Got (devel/got) due to licensing.

But, unless I'm mistaken, there is no need to install git to be able to =
continue to get copies of src.  It's only developers who need to commit =
changes to src that need to switch over to git in the near future.  Just =
as FreeBSD's src has been made available as a Git repository from the =
canonical Subversion repo (e.g., on GitHub), I'm sure the reverse will =
be true for some time and you'll be able to continue to get src updates =
via Subversion.  That would surely be the case for existing releases =
(otherwise it would be a huge POLA violation).

I track NetBSD src via Git, even though that project currently =
officially uses CVS.

Cheers,

Paul.