Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:52:48 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   microuptime and kern.timecounter.method

I resurrected my old 486DX2-66V for some lightweight server duties and
installed 4.4-RELEASE.  I would see the occasional message like:

	microuptime() went backwards (345.292246 -> 345.-695042607)

The archives suggested recompiling the kernel to remove the apm option. That
did not seem to do the trick.  However, another post suggested:

	sysctl kern.timecounter.method=1

So far, things seem to be stable with no microuptime() messages (20 hrs).
Now I'm searching for more information on what this accomplished and what
other options are available for the kern.timecounter.method.  The man page
for sysctl didn't reference this variable.

I'd appreciate any pointers to docs.

Thanks,

Randy