Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 14:10:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        brian kirkland <bgk@crystal.cirrus.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why freeBSD instead of Linux?

On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, brian kirkland wrote:

> Hi, I was just wondering after reading through the freeBSD home
> page why you think someone should use freeBSD instead of Linux.
> I mean, everyone I know uses Linux and there are tons of books

	alas, FreeBSD does not have the books in the stores that Linux has.

> out there on Linux and from what I've seen Linux comes with more
> programs than freeBSD. I am not set on using either one in particular,

	could be, FreeBSD has over 300 programs precompiled and ready for
installation.  These are the packages.   If you prefer to compile the
programs yourself, FreeBSD provides Ports.  Ports are tar files that
expand to a Makefile and patches.  running make ftp's over the source,
applies the patches and compiles the source...without user intervention!

> I just want to use the one that is the most versatile, most stable,

	wcarchive, the largest and busiest ftp site on the net uses FreeBSD.
FreeBSD has only two variants--current and stable.  Current is for those
who 'just have to be on the leading/bleeding edge'.   Stable is for
everyone else.   Linux has....many versions.

> and preferably the most used since that is the one likely to become
> a standard. From what little I know it seems that Linux has freeBSD
> beat, so please tell me what , if anything, makes freeBSD a more
> logical choice for me.

	please tell us your needs?

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346