Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 05:09:04 GMT
From:      jbg@masterplan.org (Jason George)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: News Server

>> Because I believe that requires buy-in by the backbone cabal, and
>> who wants to spend 3 weeks mud-wrestling with Joel Furr? :-)
>
>This is not mandatory. We could establish a network of news sites carrying
>freebsd.*. Anyway, if someone has access to a Sprint-fed server, the muc.*
>private (ha!) hierarchy contains the freebsd mailing-lists and is
>distributed almost everywhere...

Well, my upstream is Supernews/Remarq, so I figure that they should have
a pretty comprehensive feedstock, being a commercial Usenet provider.
Here's all I can get from them:

muc.lists.freebsd.bugs
muc.lists.freebsd.commit
muc.lists.freebsd.current
muc.lists.freebsd.hackers
muc.lists.freebsd.hardware
muc.lists.freebsd.isp
muc.lists.freebsd.security

I am using a sed script to munge the Newsgroups: line so I can pipe the
muc.lists.freebsd.* in to my list.freebsd.* groups.

The propagation of these lists seems spotty at best.  I've only ever
been able to get a handful of articles per day.  My attempt was at
"filling in" any holes left by the mail2news script which, for one
reason or another, was directing stuff into the bit bucket.

I tried using the muc lists before I setup the gateway.  Too bad the
number of articles available causes the evaluation of the implementation
to register at a Suck Factor of 9.5.  ;-)

--J