Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 18:26:08 -0400
From:      "Philip R. Moyer" <prm@complexsys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1.1 and 30 Gig disk, still no dice

I think I might be out of luck running 4.1.1 on my system.  I have
an 8 Gig IDE disk as the primary master, and a 30 Gig Western Digital
as the primary slave.  The system is running RedHat 7.0 right now.

When the 4.1.1 install disk boots up, it reads the second drive as a
2.0 Gig drive (4094/16/63).  I tried manually resetting the drive
geometry in fdisk, but as soon as I create a slice, the geometry
entry at the top of the screen reverts to a 2 Gig disk, with geometry
255/255/63 (or perhaps it's 259/255/63, but this is close).

I read in one of the on-line FAQs that recomputing the drive geometry
may work better, so I used the formula and came up with 3739/255/63.
When I tried that, I had the same results (drive geometry reverts back
to 2 Gig).

When I first installed RedHat on this system, I had to remove the drive
entry from the BIOS to make RH ignore the default geometry.  This worked
fine.  I twiddled the various settings for this drive, in the BIOS, and
had no better luck.  The fdisk behavior remained unchanged.  The settings
I tried were none, auto, and manual (with LBA both enabled and disabled).

Finally, another of the online FAQs suggested recreating the partition table
with a DOS entry.  Under RH, then, I created a 20 Meg DOS partition.
Still no luck.

Obviously, I'm doing something stupid, because all the mail I've gotten says,
to paraphrase, "yep, works like a charm."  :-|  Has anyone run across similar
problems?  How did you solve them?

Cheers,
Phil