Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:30:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de (Andre Albsmeier)
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UIDs greater than 65535?

> > Can anybody think of a reason why UIDs > 65535 wouldn't work under
> > FreeBSD?  They seem to work, and I can't find any reason why they
> > shouldn't.  Even the NFS protocol (though not necessarily all NFS
> > servers) seems to be able to accomodate 4-byte UIDs.
>
> I can only tell that quotas get big problems with ultra large uid's.
>
> See PR# 2325. I have a local fix here... it is ugly as sin and it
> doesn't fix the problem but the effects.

FWIW, quotas also have unresolvable Year 2038 problems, as well.

UFS/FFS itself cas Year 2038 problems as well.  Fortunately,
CSRG thought ahead on this one, and reserved some fields for
making it 64 bit, and defined that they would be initialized to
zero in FS's until they were used.  Unfortunately, someone
in FreeBSD stole them for nanoseconds, instead of just using a
small reserved area for the one time value that "make" uses that
can (perhaps -- worst failure case is extra builds of derived
files) be argued to need the resolution.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.