Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 00:51:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sean@chittenden.org, dougb@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, dougb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/27195: /etc/services file out of date

Synopsis: /etc/services file out of date

State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
State-Changed-By: dougb
State-Changed-When: Thu May 31 00:46:12 PDT 2001
State-Changed-Why:

Here is the problem, that apparently I didn't explain clearly enough.
Unfortunately, some applications and systems frequently depend on the
broken behavior we already have. Unless there is a good reason to make
a change, it's generally a bad idea to do so.

Good reasons include:
1. Something is broken due to non standards-compliant behavior.
2. Some new functionality requires a change or addition.

Your suggestion of making a binary database for services is well taken,
however your patches didn't make it into the post, please resend them.

For more information on this topic please look through the PR database and
find several more PR's on this topic, several of them opened by me. :) There
is even more discussion about it in the mail archives.

Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-bugs->dougb
Responsible-Changed-By: dougb
Responsible-Changed-When: Thu May 31 00:46:12 PDT 2001
Responsible-Changed-Why:

I have familiarity with the problem.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=27195