Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 18:46:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.sysctl?

In article <199709260733.RAA00370@word.smith.net.au> you wrote:
> You might want to consider a more generalised sysctl tweaking mechanism
> , eg. one that consumed variables of the form 'sysctl_X' where X was a
> monotonically increasing value starting with 0.  You could handle these
> early on in rc, just after rc.conf is sourced.  This would still suffer
> from the "sysctl is not in /sbin" problem for people using NFS for /usr.

How about committing this??

# /usr/src/sbin/sysctl/Makefile

DIR=${.CURDIR}/../../usr.sbin/sysctl

CFLAGS+=-static
NOMAN=yes

.PATH: ${DIR}
.include "${DIR}/Makefile"

(tested, works, used;  patch for /usr/src/sbin/Makefile is obvious)

There are many things which can be done with sysctl and are potentially
useful from single-user... say, if I need special IP options for NFS
mounts, etc.??
# ls -la /sbin/sysctl
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  57344 27 ÓÅÎ 18:43 /sbin/sysctl
# ls -la /usr/sbin/sysctl
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  12288 27 ÉÀÎ 19:55 /usr/sbin/sysctl
#

Please, anybody who wants to make life easier for diskless boxes, do it!