Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 10:11:14 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd_config vs. PAM

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 02:35:03PM -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Yow! I was surprised to notice that setting these parameters:
>
>    PasswordAuthentication no
>    PermitRootLogin without-password
>
> in /etc/ssh/sshd_config have absolutely NO effect!
>
> This is because now /etc/pam.conf seems to control everything (?)
>
> This seems to violate POLA in a very dangerous way.  Nor is this
> documented anywhere in the ssh man pages... in fact, they lie and
> tell you that these options increase security.
>
> I recommend that we either detach sshd from PAM, or else stop
> documenting and pretending that /etc/ssh/sshd_config actually
> controls this stuff.

As far as I know, stock OpenSSH-portable behaves the same with regard
to PAM, except for some reason we use a different knob to affect it
(ChallengeResponseAuthentication versus PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt)
and in portable in defaults to `no' while with ours it defaults to
`yes'.

The man page should be fixed.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos