Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 09:48:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
To:        jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE and xdm

On 29 May, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 12:29:42PM +0200, Philippe CASIDY wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>> Error: Can't open display: :0
>>
>> This messages appears when xsm tries to start.
>>
>> Another behavior is that if that xdm does not allow me to start a
>> failsafe session by depressing F1 instead of return after password.
>
> Next time, check the archives first. I've answered this question at
> least twice now. It's to do with:
>
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config
>
> You have to change the following resource as follows:
>
> 	DisplayManager._0.authorize:	false
>
> Cheers.

Thanks for answering Jonathan. I had found this recommendation in the
archives (so now I think it was from you ;-) ). But it looked like weird
to me that such a modification had to be made for a basic FreeBSD
installation. Furthermore, my current installation (3.3 Stable) works
correctly with the same xdm-config file.

I do not understand this authorization configuration therefore I am not
vey enthusiastic in unsetting a default configuration in a FreeBSD
installation. I thought that my problem was more about an hostname
resolution topic or whatever!

You (or someone else) may explain to me why this modification is require
and what is the impact. Why do I have this behavior and why this is not
the default?

Thank you very much!

Phil.