Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:01:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        admin@sunflower.com (Erik Lindsley), freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about SCSI error messages....

Julian Elischer wrote...
> You say you are running 2.2 but you have 'da' devices..
>
> hmm

It is possible for him to be running a 2.2 release with CAM in it.  We
released a number of sets of CAM patches against the 2.2 tree before 3.0
came out last year.

> anyhow it does sound like a disk (da3 seems the likely candidate) goues
> out to lunch occasionally.  I presume you've checked all the terminators
> etc?

I think in this case it's cabling or termination.  (Timed out in
{datain,dataout,command} phase errors generally indicate cabling or
termination problems.  Timed out while idle problems are most frequently
drive firmware problems, but can just indicate that a timeout is set too
short, or that there's some other problem.)

> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Erik Lindsley wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >   I apologize for the newbie-type question, but I have recently
> > "inherited" a BSD system and lately I have been seeing some unexpected
> > errors in the system log files that seem to imply that something in my
> > SCSI disk sysystem is starting to fail. I have attached a copy of the
> > errors to the end of this email. Gradually I have been seeing more and
> > more of these messages, and so I was wondering if this is something to
> > worry about, or if this is within normal operating parameters.
> >
> > The system is running a news server, so disk usage is quite high, but
> > this is the only thing on the box. I am running FreeBSD 2.2-980705-SNAP
> >
> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >  Sincerely,
> >    Erik Lindsley

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-scsi" in the body of the message

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org