Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:25:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Printed man pages (was: Looking for the best webmaster.)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Graeme Tait wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
> > The general consensus is that the man pages are a waste of space, and
> > they make the book too heavy.  The next edition won't have them.  If
> > anybody has strong feelings about this, please let me know.
>
> I love 'em - great for reading in bed or on public transport! In some
> cases, it's really hard to understand the on-screen versions, what with
> scrolling back and forth between the command list, option explanations,
> examples, notes, etc. (take man tar or man ftp for instance).

Personally, I'm ambivalent. I like manuals in hardcopy, and regularly
print them out. On the other hand, I mostly use man pages as a
reference, checking options, etc. But some man pages are really
manuals in disguise.

However, when Usenix did the BSD man page - oh so long ago - they
seemed to sell fairly well. So possibly bundling turning the man pages
into a companion volume and selling the FreeBSD book both standalone
and with bundled?  I still have my copy of the 4.3BSD edition, and the
one thing that leaps out instantly is that they are spiral bound -
meaning they lie flat. If the previous volume didn't lie flat, that
would greatly reduce the utility of the printed manual pages.

	<mike