Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 17:20:38 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper), nirva@ishiboo.com, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   X10 Remote and moused

Back in June, X10 Remote support was added to `moused' in 3.0-CURRENT.

Before we release 3.0, I think we had better add some comments on this
in the man page for moused.  (The current man page simply lists
X10 Remote as a supported device. But there is no more details.)

As I don't have X10 Remote here, I need some clarification on the
following points before I try to brush up the man page.

1. PS/2 interface issue.
The X10 Remote can be connected to the PS/2 mouse port as well as a
serial port, right?  As X10 Remote support in moused currently works
on the serial port only, we need to state as such.  Has anyone worked
on adding support for X10 Remote on the PS/2 mouse port? (I certainly
haven't, as I don't have the device.)

2. Pass through mode/Stand-alone mode
I heard that the X10 Remote can work either in "pass-through" mode
and in "stand-alone" mode.

In the stand-alone mode, mouse-part of the device will generate mouse
event data in the Microsoft 3-byte format.

	Remote -> COM1 -> moused

In the pass-through mode, a serial mouse is connected to the X10 Remote
device and data from the mouse is "passed through" to the serial port.

	serial mouse -> Remote -> COM1 -> moused

What is not clear to me is:

a) Whether the Remote itself also generates mouse event data in this mode
   as well.
b) Whether any serial mouse can be connected to the Remote in this way.
c) Whether the data from the mouse is passed to the serial port
   unmodified.  Or, the Remote will repackage the data in the Microsoft
   format (I guess this is unlikely :-)

The current X10 Remote support in moused assumes mouse data from the
serial port is always in Microsoft format.  This assumption breaks 1.
if any mouse, including mice incompatible with Microsoft mice, can be
connected to the remote and 2. if its data is passed to the serial
port as is, unmodified.  There will be more problems if 3. the Remote
itself will generate mouse events too in the pass-through mode; data
from the Remote is in the Microsoft format while data from the mouse
can be in another!

Is there any notes on supported mice in the X10 Remote manuals?

And the last question is:

d) As the X10 Remote can be connected to the PS/2 mouse port, I wonder
   if the following configuration is possible (although I don't know
   how this can work at all :-)

	serial mouse -> Remote -> PS/2 mouse port

In any case, we had better state in the man page exactly how X10
Remote is supported in what configuration.

Kazu