Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 05:15:46 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dump succeeded / savecore: no dump

I have been having trouble with umount and panic:page faults. In an effort
to hunt down my enemy I have ventured for the first time into the field
where core dumps frolic. I have been unsuccesful at catching one of these
little beasties.

Upon receiving the panic:page fault I recieve the following at the console.

dumping to dev 30001 offset 117776
dump 47 46 45 .... 3 2 1 succeeded

"Great!" I thought to myself. I have snared the wily dump.

During the boot sequence I read the message...

savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
savecore: no dump, not enough free space on device

BUT swapinfo tells me...
			1K Blocks	Used	Avail		Capacity	Type
/dev/wd0s2b 	108040	0	107976	0%		interleaved

Looks like enough swap to me. About 110 percent of my total memory. I have
48 MB RAM. I am using 2.2.5R on a P100.

FWIW /var/crash has only the file minfree with contents 2048. The dump is
supposed to land here after boot right?

How do I snare the elusive dump? Is my tactic inappropriate? I was
considering the 12 guage solution. Unfortunately there is no way for me to
bag a dump without blowing my box to bits.

Another post is coming soon about the panic itself.

Thanks,
Jason Wells

P.S. Do people appreciate the attempt to mix humor with technical
discussion?