Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:33:37 +0000
From:      Alexander Derevyanko <der@pc759.cs.msu.su>
To:        Robert Myers <whiterose.net!ccrider@pc759.cs.msu.su>
Cc:        "'Ryan Masse'" <mastery.ca!rmasse@pc759.cs.msu.su>, "'FreeBSD-Questions'" <FreeBSD.ORG!freebsd-questions@pc759.cs.msu.su>
Subject:   Re: email virus | sendmail block

Robert Myers wrote:

> > apparantly theres an email virus going around entitled
> > "hahaha" or something
> > similar. Is there any way to have sendmail block a message
> > with specified
> > strings in the title and/or body?
> >

>         I am not aware of anything for sendmail specifically.  You could use
> procmail to sort email on your system, then use the /etc/procmailrc to
> filter all
> emails that have a certain subject.  I also read something, I cannot
> remember
> the place, about Virus protection for Unix.  I think I read it in a white
> paper posted
> to Bugtraq, you can search the archives at http://securityfocus.com  or try
> your
> favorite search engine.

Install amavis. (like www.amavis.org). It is not in ports, at least in
ports supplied with
3.4 Release, but it is not difficult to do. (I think, someone already
added it to recent ports).
It works reasonable good for me, but you need virus scan software also.
I see at least 8
variant of "PC antiviruses for Unix", but all of them seems commercial.

P.S. You need a HUGE swap space, if you users like to send really big
e-mails with
archived source trees. One of my users sends a 15Mb archive of source
tree, and it
was swapping around a 45 minutes on Pentium 133 with 32 RAM + 64 swap.
(most of all, because
it was a squid + imap + apache + dialup here at once.)