Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:29:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape native version

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Mark Mayo wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 08, 1997 at 02:13:41AM -0700, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:
> > In localhost.freebsd.stable you write:
> >
> > >Finally, Communicator locked up on me last night - actuallly it locked
> > >up and took out my system with it.. complete freeze. X was still
> > >"displaying", but the keyboard and mouse were dead. The machine wouldn't
> > >even answer pings... complete freeze. Needless to say, since I've been
> > >running FreeBSD (almost 2 years) this is the first time this has ever
> > >happened to me. Lock up. Not even a crash. Nothing is worse, and horrible
> > >images of win95 were filling my head.
> >
> > I'm very interested in information on this bug (which I think I've
> > ironed out of my system).

Looks like we have a winner. (1/2 a :), 1/2 a :( )

> 16bpp.
> AccelX v1.3
> Matrox Millenium

> > 4.  Are you running with Backing Store and/or SaveUnders?
>
> Backing Store turned off (to fix a bug in AccelX), SaveUnders still turned on.
> FWIW, when I did have Backing Store on it would be fairly nornal to see the
> Netscape/AccelX combined memory usage grow to between 40 and 50MB... with
> Backing Store off, Netscape usually hovers in the 16-20MB range, with AccelX
> weighing in at about 8MB. Certainly heavyweights by anybody's standards! :-)

Try turning off SaveUnders.  It's worked for me under Xaccel 3.1.

> > 5.  How much swap/memory do you have?
>
> 95MB swap, 48MB RAM. PPro 166, full NCR SCSI.

I also doubled my swap (on a second drive) to 180M.  I don't know if it
helped anything else, but it seemed to speed things up (I only have 32M,
and splitting it over two drives seems a fair bit quicker).

> > 6.  Do you have a large bookmarks.html ?
>
> Yes, actually!

Just curious, but how big?  Mine is 88K.

> If you have any clues, I'd love to here about them. FWIW, when I was running
> 4.0b6 (the Linux binaries) I didn't have these problems. It will still
> a memory pig, but it didn't crash out. The FreeBSD version misbehaves all the
> time, from not returning the cursor to an arrow after it was the "busy watch",
> to just plain crashing (often when I hit the back button).

I was able to get this problem to happen with the BSDI binaries
(consistently) and even 3.01.  The #1 way for me to trigger the bug is to
open the bookmarks menu, and, holding down the mouse, scroll up and down
over the sub-menus for a few seconds to a few minutes.  This would lock my
system pretty consistenly, but I haven't had an X-related lockup that I
can think of since I turned off SaveUnders and added the swap (although it
was grim for a while there--I would lock up 3 times in a night, and things
like that).  Not pretty.

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/