Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:19:38 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        noor@comrax.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI LVD(S) card & disk for FreeBSD.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 23:39:38 +0300, noor@comrax.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for a well supported SCSI-II/III LVD(S) card under FreeBSD.
> Plus, recommended LVD(S) disks for that card.

Adaptec, Symbios/LSI and QLogic boards are well supported.

As for disks, I would generally recommend IBM and Seagate, but Seagate has
put out a batch of bad firmware recently.  (You can work around it by
disabling write caching on the disk, but you need a firmware upgrade to fix
the problem.)

So for disks, I'd recommend IBM Ultrastar disks.

> Also, supposing I got the above mentioned hardware and I am looking for a
> RAID solution (sync read/write from/to many disks on-the-fly), what would
> be your recommendations? (both hardware and software).

Well, vinum does software RAID, and comes with FreeBSD.

If you want a PCI-based RAID controller, see Mike Smith's web page:

http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/index.html

You can also get most any external SCSI-SCSI RAID controller, which
should work with any supported SCSI controller.  See the -scsi list
archives for comments on various external RAID controllers.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org