Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:04:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE:  Macintosh access to FreeBSD over TCP/IP ??

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Gail M. Pickett wrote:

> > I second Martin Welk`s message and suggest you take a look at Netatalk.
>
> I installed both Netatalk packages, and they/it doesn't work.

"Both" meaning both netatalk and the asun version? That may be a
problem right there. I'd suggest using one or the other, but not both.

> I read  somewhere, later, that they won't work if you install both.

I wouldn't doubt it.

> Ok.  I tried to pkg_delete both and the (FreeBSD 3.3-Release)
> machine refused.  Hmmm...
> Now what?

One thing about pkg_delete is that you have to know the exact name of
the package that was installed, and I don't know how to find that out.
Also, you do still need to have NETATALK support in the kernel in
order for netatalk to work.

> > After compiling in NETATALK support in the kernel (a breeze)

> Isn't netatalk support part of the generic kernel?  I get a "nmbd"
> listed when I do ps -aux. Is this netatalk?

No. Nmbd is part of Samba, I believe. For netatalk you should see
things like atalkd and afpd. And IIRC, netatalk is in LINT but not in
GENERIC.

> Compiling a custom kernel is not a breeze.

True, but it's not *that* hard; you just have to pay attention and be
careful.

> I didn't install the source code in order to save disk space.

The first time I installed FreeBSD, I didn't think I needed source. I
was mistaken.

> The freeBSD box isn't connected to the internet, so CVSup is
> difficult.  The machine is just a file server for the LAN.

Do you have the CD set? If so, no problem. If not, well, consider
setting up a modem and letting it download overnight.

> > and installing
> > the netatalk port, I just read the documentation that came with the port and
>
> What documentation?

I don't recall there being much (or any) with the port, but there is
some at http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/ - there is also the
FAQ-o-Matic at
http://www.zettabyte.net/fom-serve/netatalk/cache/1.html

> > got it running in a couple of minutes. It`s really that easy...
>
> I spent a day on it, and it doesn't run.  I can successfully "ping" the
> Macintosh from the FreeBSD box, but the Mac cannot see/ping the FreeBSD box.

This is two different issues. Ping uses internet protocols (ICMP?) and
has *nothing* (well, almost nothing) to do with Appletalk networking.
If the netatalk server is working properly, you should be able to see
it in the Chooser from your Macs. All 'ping' tells you is that the
cable is good, etc. If the Mac cannot ping the FreeBSD box, perhaps
its ethernet is not configured correctly?

> > Now all the Macs in our company can see the Macintosh `shares` I`ve setup on
> > FreeBSD.
>
> What files do I edit to setup 'shares'?

As far as I recall, the only file I had to create was
/usr/local/etc/atalkd.conf. Here it is, in all its one-line glory:

ed0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.45

...where 'ed0' is the name of the interface I'm using to connect with
Macs.

I seem to recall also having to create directories called .AppleDouble
in the directories I wanted to share, but check the FAQs to be sure -
it's been a long time since I've done this.

I usually set up user accounts on FreeBSD to appear as AppleShare
volumes. On the Mac, you select the machine from the Chooser (it will
appear with its hostname) and log in as the user.  Then there will be
a volume on your desktop called, for example, gmpicket, and it acts
just like a Mac disk. The only problem I've found is that unix
symlinks and Mac aliases do not play well together.  Nothing crashes
or loses data, they just don't always work right.

> I also installed the CAPS package, but still no luck.  Not sure how to
> configure it, either.

CAPS is a different program that does the same (?) thing as netatalk.
I have no experience with CAPS, but it could be that they are
conflicting with each other. You probably don't want to have both
installed.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill                     chris@monochrome.org