Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 22:08:34 -0400
From:      Curtis Villamizar <curtis@brookfield.ans.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        curtis@brookfield.ans.net, Daniel Zappala <zappala@cs.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   FYI - ThinkPad 770X (was: Cardbus controller status request / notebook update)

Just a quick FYI - please quietly discard if you don't care.

I saw quite a few mostly old messages detailing other peoples
difficulties with ThinkPads.  I got a 770X anyway because of the
1280x1024 LCD.  I'm using the 3.1 distribution and PAO3.

So far it hasn't been painful getting this thing going (not that its
been smooth either).  You need the memory hack:

  options         "MAXMEM=(127*1024)"

This reduces the amount of memory used by the kernel by 640 or more
(the 770X has 128MB).  Someone else's theory was that IBM is mapping
the lower 640k to the top of extended memory so running into this
memory has dire consequences.  Whatever the reason, if you don't do
this, the system locks up very frequently.

The APM seems to be working.  I haven't seen any problem so far
suspending and resuming although it doesn't seem to suspend with the
ethernet card inserted (ep0) which might be a good feature.  My last
laptop, a 560 often hung trying to resume if that card was in.

There is some config lines in the GENERIC and PAO_ALL file that
advises that lines be commented out for thinkpads.  If you comment
them out the kernel panics in cninit (console driver).  The lines are:

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device		vt0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
#options		XSERVER			# support for X server
#options		FAT_CURSOR		# start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT lines
#options		PCVT_SCANSET=2		# IBM keyboards are non-std

I just tried the wavelan quickly.  The wlp0 driver doesn't work with
the wlconfig utility and the wl0 driver doesn't seem to load and is
not PAO3 supported anymore.  This may just require getting the old
wlconfig so I can use wlp0 as a quick solution.

The video chipset reports to be a Trident 939a which the XFree86 SVGA
driver doesn't know about.  After declaring the chipset to be a 9397
in XF86Config X runs fine.  The XF86Config file was based on one found
at http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp770x.html.  I'll provide the one I
used to anyone that wants it.

The sound chip looks to be supported.  The Linux users claim to have
it working as a Crystal 4236 (4237?) but the FreeBSD sound driver
doesn't find it.

Everything seems to be fine except wavelan and the sound support.  A
bit heavier and bulkier (a lot) than the 560 I used to have but
1280x1024 is more than enough reason for me to prefer the 770.

BTW- I have no plans to run any Microsoft OS on this laptop so I
immediately erased it before it ever booted.  I'll see how the refund
request goes.

Curtis

PS- I'm not on the list but found this in the archive.  Yes- I know
its sort of old but there wasn't much in the archive.