Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 11:41:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splitting up ports.

Julian Elischer wrote:

> The time has come to start working on making a hierachy from teh
> ports tree..
> there are just too many ports now!
>

> I was thinking of the following kinds of taxonomic scheme:
>
> first order...   basic current scheme (though
> possibly 'national' types should be handled differntly)
>
> second order: dependent on class but for example:
> audio/midi and audio/libraries audio/players... etc
>    it really depends on the major class what the subclasses would be.
>
> also, net/analysis net/benchmarks net/dns net/transfer net/security
>
> etc.
>
> it's getting a bit crouded in there!

Specifically, what troubles are you having?  If you're speaking as a user
trying to find ports, "make readmes" will generate HTML pages that can be
read with your favorite HTML browser.  Also "make search" will let you
search for ports by keyword.  If you're speaking as a contributor and
"cvs co -P ports/audio" takes too long, recall that all (?) ports are
listed in CVSROOT/modules, so you can work with just the ones
you're interested in:  "cvs co -P gtkwave xwave".

Instead of implementing your idea, we could get similar results by just
adding more categories to the existing structure, or by making better use
of the ones we have.  For instance, you suggest a net/benchmarks category.
"cd /usr/ports/net; make search key=bench" turns up two ports, nttcp and
ttcp, which could (should IMO) be moved into the existing benchmarks
category, which contains only 23 ports.  You suggest a net/dns category.
We already have FTP and WWW categories--why not one for DNS?  You suggest
net/security.  Ports for it could (again should IMO) instead go into the
existing security category.  As for net/analysis and net/transfer, if they
were named network-analysis and network-transfer, I think users and
contributors would have no great difficulty in working with them.

Here are a few of "my" (some borrowed from Debian, NetBSD, OpenBSD, or
Windows) ideas for new categories:

accessibility - of interest to users with disabilities
	ports/audio/festdoc
	ports/audio/festival
	ports/audio/festlex-cmu
	ports/audio/festlex-oald
	ports/audio/festlex-ogi
	ports/audio/festlex-poslex
	ports/audio/festogi-spanish
	ports/audio/festvox-abc
	ports/audio/festvox-don
	ports/audio/festvox-el11
	ports/audio/festvox-hvs
	ports/audio/festvox-jph
	ports/audio/festvox-kal16
	ports/audio/festvox-kal8
	ports/audio/festvox-ked16
	ports/audio/festvox-ked8
	ports/audio/festvox-mwm
	ports/audio/festvox-ogirab
	ports/audio/festvox-rab16
	ports/audio/festvox-rab8
	ports/audio/festvox-tll
	ports/audio/rsynth
	ports/audio/sphinx (broken--sorry)
	ports/x11/dynamag
	ports/x11/lupe
	ports/x11/xlupe
	ports/x11/xzoom

finance - all about the money
	ports/deskutils/cbb
	ports/deskutils/gnofin
	ports/deskutils/gnucash
	ports/deskutils/kmymoney2
	ports/deskutils/moneydance
	ports/deskutils/xinvest
	ports/math/p5-Math-Financial
	ports/misc/p5-Finance-Quote
	ports/misc/emma
	ports/misc/gnomepm
	ports/misc/qhacc
	ports/misc/quantlib
	ports/misc/wmstock
	ports/x11/stockticker_applet

i18n - internationalization (whew!)
	ports/converters/iconv
	ports/converters/iconv-extra
	ports/converters/iconv-rfc1345
	ports/converters/libiconv
	ports/converters/py-iconv
	ports/converters/ruby-iconv
	ports/converters/siconv
	ports/devel/gtranslator
	ports/devel/linguist
	ports/devel/gettext
	ports/devel/gettext-old
	ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext
	ports/devel/ruby-gettext

parallel - parallel (multiprocessor, clustered, or distributed) computing
	ports/graphics/pvmpov
	ports/lang/mozart
	ports/lang/lang/pm3-netobj
	ports/math/scilab
	ports/net/clusterit
	ports/net/mpich
	ports/net/pvm
	ports/net/pvm++

demos - no purpose except to show off graphical or musical capabilities
	ports/games/xoj
	ports/graphics/acidwarp
	ports/graphics/linplasma
	ports/misc/bb
	ports/misc/demoniac (sounds like it could go in graphics)
	ports/x11/qrash

theming - optional eye candy
	ports/misc/grdb
	ports/misc/metatheme
	ports/misc/metatheme2
	ports/x11/gtk-theme-switch
	ports/x11-toolkits/buffy
	ports/x11-toolkits/clean-theme-gtk
	ports/x11-toolkits/colorstep
	ports/x11-toolkits/eazel-themes
	ports/x11-toolkits/engradient
	ports/x11-toolkits/gnome-look
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-Mac2-theme
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-engines
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-engines-collection
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-engines2
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-flat-theme
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-qn-x11-theme
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-zenith-theme
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtkbe
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtkstep
	ports/x11-toolkits/gtkstep-pastel
	ports/x11-toolkits/icegradient
	ports/x11-toolkits/notif2
	ports/x11-toolkits/thinice
	ports/x11-toolkits/whistlerk
	ports/x11-toolkits/xenophilia
	ports/x11-toolkits/xenostep
	ports/x11-wm/fvwm-themes
	ports/x11-wm/kdeartwork
	ports/x11-wm/kdeartwork3
	ports/x11-wm/sapphire-themes
	ports/x11-wm/wmthemeinstall

OpenBSD has the feature you suggest.  If we want to go that way, we could
look at their experiences and code.  They have ports on both the first and
second levels of the hierarchy.  Here is a listing of the third-level
Makefiles (there were 78 of them) in OpenBSD a couple of months ago:

benchmarks/tcpblast/src/
devel/binutils/stable/
devel/jdk/1.1/
devel/jdk/1.2-blackdown/