Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 20:30:41 +0000
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@teaser.fr>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <netchild@wurzelausix.cs.uni-sb.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nlpt & polling mode didn't work

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 01:18:52PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

>>>I think (nobody wants to wait more than 15 minutes for the page).
>>>BTW: I have only 3rd person access to it. Its the system of my brother,
>>>and hi is only an user.
>>
>> And I imagine the old-lpt code works.
>
>No. lpt didn't work, but I remember it didn't work the first time I
>tried it too. It worked only with nlpt.

Timing then. nlpt is slower than lpt because of indirection calls. So
something must have speedup the machine because nothing changed in nlpt since
it was properly working.

>> You may add printfs to the /sys/dev/ppbus/nlpt.c to check where it fails.
>
>To nlpt_pushbytes()?
>What am I looking for?

Yes and nlpt_write(). You may add something like this for ppb_wxx() calls:

	u_char cc;
	do {
		cc = STROBE_or_what_else;
		ppb_wctr(..., cc);

	} while (ppb_rctr(...) != cc);

to be sure ppb_wxxx() are correctly done.
And you may add delays here and there to slow down the driver.

nsouch@teaser.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org