Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:53:21 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        jekillen@prodigy.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install with modified kernel?

jekillen wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2007, at 4:35 PM, youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, jekillen wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>> Is it possible to install FreeBSD ( in this case v6.2 GENERIC
>>> RELEASE) with a modified kernel?
>>> I am having some network problems with an installation on ASUS N2M32
>>> WS pro (AMD64) mb.
>>> I want to try installing without fire wire emulation support, which
>>> means I have to modify the
>>> kernel to eliminate it. But if I install and then modify the Kernel,
>>> it will have made its mark.
>>> Please forgive me it this seems like a stupid question. It probably
>>> is but I just want to be
>>> certain.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> Jeff K
>>
>> Jeff,
>>     Of course you can! Please read this chapter in the handbook, which
>> describes the process in great detail:
>> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html>.
>>
>>     As for the "network problems", what exactly are you experiencing?
>> -Garrett
>>

> Thanks for the response;
> it is encouraging:
> I originally thought that I could use the dual enet interfaces built
> into the motherboard, but found out that the
> Marvell interfaces are not supported in v6.2. I installed two Intel
> cards made to work in PCIe slots. I got them
> install and up and running according to ifconfig. I could ping em0 and
> not em1. 192.168.1.16 is assigned
> em0 and 192.168.1.17 is assigned em1. The fwe interface was listed by
> ifconfig between em0 and em1.
> I wanted to know how to get them to load in a different order to
> eliminate the possibility that fwe was inter
> fering somehow with em1. I ended up modifying the kernel to keep it from
> problem. I had gotten a reference from this list to driver and patch for
> Nvidia inet. I installed the patch
> and rebuilt the kernel and then installed the drivers. I left the Intel
> card installed and then had a total
> of four interfaces, nfe0 nfe1 em0 and em1. I could only ping one when
> they all were up and running
> according to ifconfig. I took the Intel cards out so I only had the two
> active interfaces, nfe0 and nfe1
> I could still only ping one, nfe0. This is all from local host from the
> shell with ping -c 1 192.168.1.16 (em0 and/or nfe0)
> and ping -c 1 192.168.1.17 (em1 and/ or nfe1). The same thing happens
> when I ping from another machine.
> Here is why I think that fwe might have caused the problem: When I first
> installed the system. that is the only
> interface that was offered for configuration by sysinstall. I am
> thinking that it may have some how set only
> one route from the shell to lo to the kernel to the interface and back.
> And fiddling with the interfaces has not
> changed that. First I will just try to re install the system with the
> Intel interfaces installed because I know they
> [...]

	Hehe.. fun... it appears that I probably got myself into a real mess
with the hardware I just purchased (ATI card, Soundblaster X-Fi card,
Asus motherboard full of nForce stuff :(..). Oh well, I've learned my
lesson I suppose *sign*.

	You should probably tell what you told me to the questions@ list
though. I'm not the only one in the freebsd community, ya know ;)?
-Garrett