Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 11:58:26 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        dwhite@gumbysoft.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Deskpro EN booting problem

> Bad move. :-) You just erased your BIOS setup too.

That  was my first thought -m but this machine has the BIOS in ROM hence
you dont need the diagnostics partition to do the ssetup - it works fine
from F10 without a hard drive.

> It means it wasn't able to boot the partition since it couldn't find it.
> That usually occurs when the geometry changes to a layout that is not
> compatible with the BIOS.

The BIOS on the RAID card on the one on the machine ? I am curious as I
didnt think I had changed the layout much - indeed the location of
the partition I am trying to boot (the BSD one) hasnt changed at all.

I have ended upslapping a 2940 card in there and constructing a new
install on ane xternal SCSI drive - I can then mount all the partitions
off the original drives on the RAID controller quite happily, including
all those partitoions that were inaccesssible to the boot stuff. So
its all running again.

Thanks forthe advice though - I'll bemore carefulof disc geometries in
future!

-pcf.

PS: One other wierdness - doing a fresh install from the 4.6.2 CD gave me
a few ssetups where booting complained about a mismatch between the
sizeof the disc lable and the raw partition. I did not thinkthat it was
possible to create an illegal disc layout from sysinstall ?