Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:21:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        daren@sefcik.cc (Daren Sefcik)
Cc:        mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: low level format--howto??

Daren Sefcik wrote...
> > You are, probably, using a wrong device name. First, check the file
> > /var/run/dmesg.boot to find out exactly how the drive was found --
> > what is the device number (da? something).
>
> >From dmesg.boot:
>
> (da0:adv0:0:1:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (da0:adv0:0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:31,0
> (da0:adv0:0:1:0): Medium format corrupted field replaceable unit: 9
> (da0:adv0:0:1:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
> (da0:adv0:0:1:0): lost device
> (da0:adv0:0:1:0): removing device entry
>

> It worked fine until I used newfs_msdos...then it was hosed.

Looks like the disk has lost its brain.  If you've got the pass driver
configured in your kernel, do the following:

camcontrol devlist

Find out which pass driver corresponds to your hard disk.  Then, low-level
format it like this:

camcontrol cmd -n pass -u 0 -t 7200 -v -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"

If the hard disk is on pass2 or something instead of pass0, just use -u 2
above.  The -t argument sets the timeout in seconds.  You may need to set
it to something longer, depending on the disk.

Generally, with errors like the one you have above, the disk can be brought
back with a low-level format.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry