Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:32:03 +0400
From:      Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Diskless boot, NFS etc.

Hello,
I'm back again with my diskless-boot problem :-)

Now I have discovered, that if I export pure / as root for
diskless wks, it boots. On other hand, if I export something different,
for example /usr/local/Diskless. It does not boot :-(
But if I remove /usr/local/Diskless/sbin/init then it complains that
it can't find init. So, I assume that it boots and even mounts rootfs.
I have tried replace /usr/local/Diskless/sbin/init with sh. Does not matter,
it just does not work.
I even made simple static linked binary:
main() { puts("INIT"); reboot(0); }
And copied it as "init" into /usr/local/Diskless/sbin
Nothing is shown on console and no reboot :-(
But it still complain when there is no sbin/init.

[some time]

After some time, I also discovered that if I
remove /usr/local/Diskless/sbin/init then system boots into
/stand/sysinstall. If I replace "init" with "sysinstall" diskless
kernel panics : init exited. If I move sbin/init into stand/sysinstall
nothing happens.
So I assume, that "init" is not diskless-safe when root is different from
real rootfs.

So, maybe can tell me where to look?

PS. But why my fake init does not work too?

[some time later]

any /sbin/init does not work :-( anything except real /stand/sysinstall
does not work when /sbin/init is not found :-(

So how can I make diskless FreeBSDs boot from my FreeBSD server and mount
root from /usr/local/Diskless?

I know I'm stupid :-( But I should not make it work :,-((((

--
Igor Roboul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia