Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:09:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      jcplace@attglobal.net
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/15606: sysinstall dumps core when trying display distributions

>Number:         15606
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       sysinstall dumps core when trying display distributions
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
P5 133Mhz 24MB Ram

sysinstall dumps core when trying to display distributions. This
happens both durring install (custom option) or on a running system.

>How-To-Repeat:
as root start sysinstall
pick Configure
pick Distribution
(Core Dump)

Or:
boot up install floppy
when it prompts you to select distributions select  Custom
(Core Dump)

I have turned on the Debug option and it shows no information. It seems that
any call that displays the function returns garbage.

>Fix:
I have not found a work around yet I simply do not use the custom install
and rarely do I use it after install. A word of warning I installed this
box by downloading /bin /manpages and installing a "basic system". I
have done this may time without a hitch. The install had no other
errors.

I have a core file if you want it (58k zipped) let me know.
-John