Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:39:13 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        bob@vesterman.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GELI full disk, booting from thumb drive - can't get to /usr?

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:03:36 -0700 (PDT), bob@vesterman.com wrote:
> I've been trying to set up a system (7.0 Release) with full-disk
> encryption, using GELI, and booting from a thumb drive.  When booting, it
> gets as far as asking me for the passphrases of the various encrypted
> disks; when I give them, GELI indicates that it successfully attached to
> each, but after I've entered the last of them, the system puts out a bunch
> of messages (most of which quickly scroll off my screen) looking like it's
> trying to continue booting, but having problems.
>
> Those that are left when it finally stops scrolling seem to indicate that
> it can't get to /usr.  Here is what remains on my screen when it stops
> scrolling:
>
> eval: /usr/sbin/sendmail: not found
> /etc/rc: WARNING: run_rc_command: cannot run /usr/sbin/cron
> Local package initialization:
> dirname: not found
> Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.
> logger: not found

This indicates that your assumption is right, access to /usr is
not possible. But what comes into my mind is that *if* /usr
could not be mounted, the system is usually put into single user
mode instead of continuing to boot.

My suggestion: have you tried scolling up and looking for the
first message that looks strange, maybe a message that says
something about /usr? (Press the Scroll Lock key and use the
arrow keys / page scrolling keys to access previous screen
content.)

> If I start up Fixit from a LiveFS CD, geli attach and mount what should be
> /usr as something like "/myusr", I can see that all of the things I expect
> to be there really are there (including, for example, libexec/getty).

Does your thumb drive (for booting) something generally different
than you do when starting with the LFS CD?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0