Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:50:41 -0600
From:      Matt Barnett <mbarnett@ualberta.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Massive program bloat using g++30?

Hi all. I'm new to FreeBSD, although not unix in general, and I've been
having a lot of fun playing with it. I decided to try out the newest version
of gcc in the port system, gcc 3.0.1, purely for shits and giggles. It
compiled and installed fine, but the g++30 compiler seems to generate
MASSIVELY bloated files for trivial programs. A simple Hello World! program
using iostreams comes in at 1.8MB when compiled with g++30, versus 5KB with
g++ (version 2.95.3). Am I missing some blindingly obvious mistake I'm making
that would explain my 1.8MB monstrosity, or is this actually normal behaviour
for g++ 3.0.1?

Just curious,

Matt