Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:15:24 +0800
From:      Kelly Ormsby <kelly@atcrc.com>
To:        sage-au@sage-au.org.au
Subject:   Re: [SAGE-AU] Sony Vaio Laptops

--=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D_1747062=
=3D=3D_.ALT

Okies ... couple of replies .. both saying "Stay Away!!!" :) Experiences=20
with long waits on hardware warranty claims and driver support is=20
apparently terrible.

I will look for a more suitable Toshiba then since I have always liked=20
those, and found Toshiba to be good for drivers :)

Thanks to those who replied (Wipul Jayawickrama, Tim Vanlint)

Kelly.

At 01:34 PM 3/26/2002 +0800, Kelly Ormsby wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just looking for advice. I am looking to purchase a laptop for myself for=20
>work and home use (work paying). I will being using windows 2k/xp and will=
=20
>perhaps want to play games, dial up to the net, play with some wireless=20
>networking, and occasional software development.
>
>I was looking at the Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000, but have been told it is=20
>now discontinued (after waiting 6 weeks)... they then suggested the 6100=20
>instead, which they can't give an ETA on either and I don't really want to=
=20
>wait another 6 weeks.
>
>So I am now looking at a Sony Vaio. I am looking in particular at this one=
=20
>: http://www.sony.com.au/content.asp?go=3Dproducts.asp - PCGFX990.
>
>I have been told there is problems with drivers support. For instance, if=20
>the laptop comes with 98 on it, then there is no driver support for=20
>subsequent windows releases (2k/xp). It comes with XP, so I am thinking=20
>this might not be a problem, but could become a problem depending on the=20
>life span of the laptop.
>
>Has anyone had any experience with Sony's laptops, drivers and general=20
>support?
>
>I will summarise to the list.
>
>Kelly Ormsby BSc(Curtin)
>Systems Administrator
>
>ATRI\ATCRC
>http://www.atri.curtin.edu.au
>http://www.atcrc.com
>314.113
>Curtin University
>Bentley
>
>Phone : +61 8 9266 3509
>Email : <mailto:kelly@atri.curtin.edu.au>kelly@atri.curtin.edu.au

Kelly Ormsby BSc(Curtin)
Systems Administrator

ATRI\ATCRC
http://www.atri.curtin.edu.au
http://www.atcrc.com
314.113
Curtin University
Bentley

Phone : +61 8 9266 3509
Email : <mailto:kelly@atri.curtin.edu.au>kelly@atri.curtin.edu.au

--=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D_1747062=
=3D=3D_.ALT

Okies ... couple of replies .. both saying &quot;Stay Away!!!&quot; :)
Experiences with long waits on hardware warranty claims and driver
support is apparently terrible.<br><br>
I will look for a more suitable Toshiba then since I have always liked
those, and found Toshiba to be good for drivers :)<br><br>
Thanks to those who replied (Wipul Jayawickrama, Tim Vanlint)<br><br>
Kelly.<br><br>
At 01:34 PM 3/26/2002 +0800, Kelly Ormsby wrote:<br><br>
Just looking for advice. I am looking to purchase a laptop for myself for
work and home use (work paying). I will being using windows 2k/xp and
will perhaps want to play games, dial up to the net, play with some
wireless networking, and occasional software development.<br><br>
I was looking at the Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000, but have been told it is
now discontinued (after waiting 6 weeks)... they then suggested the 6100
instead, which they can't give an ETA on either and I don't really want
to wait another 6 weeks.<br><br>
So I am now looking at a Sony Vaio. I am looking in particular at this
one :
autourl">http://www.sony.com.au/content.asp?go=3Dproducts.asp</a>;
- PCGFX990.<br><br>
I have been told there is problems with drivers support. For instance, if t=
he laptop comes with 98 on it, then there is no driver support for subseque=
nt windows releases (2k/xp). It comes with XP, so I am thinking this might =
not be a problem, but could become a problem depending on the life span of =
the laptop.<br><br>
Has anyone had any experience with Sony's laptops, drivers and general supp=
ort?<br><br>
I will summarise to the list.<br><br>
Kelly Ormsby BSc(Curtin)<br>
Systems Administrator<br><br>
ATRI\ATCRC<br>
ri.curtin.edu.au</a><br>
a><br>
314.113<br>
Curtin University<br>
Bentley<br><br>
Phone : +61 8 9266 3509<br>
Email : <a href=3D"mailto:kelly@atri.curtin.edu.au">kelly@atri.curtin.edu.a=
u</a></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Kelly Ormsby BSc(Curtin)<br>
Systems Administrator<br><br>
ATRI\ATCRC<br>
ri.curtin.edu.au</a><br>
a><br>
314.113<br>
Curtin University<br>
Bentley<br><br>
Phone : +61 8 9266 3509<br>
Email : <a href=3D"mailto:kelly@atri.curtin.edu.au">kelly@atri.curtin.edu.a=
u</a><br>

--=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D_1747062=
=3D=3D_.ALT--

--=-KbUZfHgy0FFedW5Ruzjd--