Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:25:14 -0500
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP DeskJet 612C ... any suggestions on drivers?

I'm looking at moving more and more stuff from my old (and, due to
hardware problems that I've already identified, highly unreliable)
Linux system to my new FreeBSD system, and have a question.....  Up
to this point, I've been using GhostScript to drive my HP DeskJet 612C
printer.  This works for 99% of what I want, but when I want to use
the "photo" quality[1] print cartridge, so far I've had to use a
Windoze laptop to drive the printer.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting better results?  I'm
using GS 5.10 now, so if a newer version has better drivers (i.e.,
drivers that support the "photo" quality print cartridge on the 612C),
that would do nicely.  Otherwise, does anyone know of any better
drivers that exist for FreeBSD?

On a related topic, does anyone have any suggestions for low-cost
(i.e., less than $300 or so---I'm *NOT* in the market for a $6000
Kodak printer that costs $3/page to print on) true photo quality
printers that can be driven directly from FreeBSD?

Thanks,
   --jim

[1] What HP calls photo quality, anyways...it isn't.  I'll no doubt
    be upgrading my printer before long....

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)        | Another good rule to follow:
jim@n5ial.gnt.net       |    Do not try to implement solutions that