Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 21:39:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 zp/tcp fuckups.

okay, a few of you will remember by griping about tcp performance
on a laptop with the 3c589d card.

well, now I get to experience it all again.

right now I have:
* a box which can't ping, error message:
	ping:sendto:No buffer space available
* can't be pinged
* froze during an ftp
* has two non-closed tcp connections, one with a Send-Q of 17520 (CLOSING)
  and the other has a Send-Q of 106 (LAST_ACK)

* netstat -m tells me I have 112 mbufs in use, 34k of which is allocated to
  network (94%), 64 are for data, 45 for headers, 2 for pcb's, 1 for
  socket names/addresses and 9/10 mbuf clusers in use.  It also says there
  have been no denials or delays and 0 calls to the drain routines.

As far as networking is concerned, the box is fucked.  The only hope I have
(and what I am doing) to make it work is to reboot.

After the reboot...
Attempting to ftp to it from solaris resulted in this:

200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'p1' (100663296 bytes).
netin: Connection reset by peer
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Lost connection
No control connection for command: Error 0
No control connection for command: Error 0
ftp>

(no, I didn't hit ^C or run anything else, just let it "happen").

if I run "tcpdump -p" on a screen, it seems work okay.

btw, I'm quite prepared to blame the zp driver - it fails to properly
detect the device when I boot up FreeBSD after running Windows 95.
Requires a cold boot to make the card detectable (to FreeBSD) again.