Date:      Fri, 27 May 2005 20:40:59 GMT
From:      Drosos <drososkourounis@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/81568: ext2fs partitions in fstab automatically mounted at boot fail to umount when reboot

>Number:         81568
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       ext2fs partitions in fstab automatically mounted at boot fail to umount when reboot
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD toundra 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May  8 10:21:06 UTC 2005     root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I have Linux ext2 partitions which I decided to add in fstab such that
they are automatically mounted at boot. Thus I added the following line:

/dev/ad1s1         /common   ext2fs    rw,auto           0   0

in my original /etc/fstab:

/dev/ad1s2b        none      swap    sw              0   0
/dev/ad1s2a        /         ufs     rw              1   1
/dev/ad1s2g        /common   ufs     rw              2   2
/dev/ad1s2e        /tmp      ufs     rw              2   2
/dev/ad1s2f        /usr      ufs     rw              2   2
/dev/ad1s2d        /var      ufs     rw              2   2
/dev/acd0          /cdrom    cd9660  ro,noauto       0   0
/dev/acd1          /cdrom1   cd9660  ro,noauto       0   0

As a result I was happy to see my ext2 partition mounted nicely at boot
time. Unfortunately when I wanted to reboot typing
#reboot

or to turnoff my PC typing
#shutdown -p now

this partition couldn't be unmounted. This was not however the case with
FreeBSD 4.11 and 4.10 Release. I had no such problems there!

>How-To-Repeat:
Just create an ext2 partition and mount it like above. Reboot such that
it is automatically mounted and then reboot once again!