Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:21:21 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth throttling etc.

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> > What you Really Want is for each interface to manage its own
> > allocations.  When you want to send a packet, you ask the interface
> > for a buffer, and it gives you one of an appropriate size and shape
> > that it knows how to transmit efficiently.
>
> How do deal with a route change between the time you determine the
> target interface, ask it to allocate space for you, and construct
> the packet?  The race window becomes much larger if the application
> asks to pre-allocate space that it will reuse repeatedly to achieve
> zero copy.  Whatever the interface is, it must also handle external
> memory allocations such as dmaing the payload out of the memory on
> another device.

of course.. each driver has to be able to handle the case where
the mbuf is not one of it's own.

That's inevitable in a routing situation unless you want to copy
the data from an interface A mbuf into an interface B mbuf. On the
whole however it's best to allow the interface to do that at the
last minute as it may have no problems with leaving it where it is..

As I mentioned in another mail, we've been doing this for 10 years
at TFS. it works fine.