Date:      Fri, 07 Nov 1997 11:45:48 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard wiring media type on de0 driver.

Our hubs reset themselves this morning with an interesting
side effect. It takes about 90 seconds for the hubs to restart.
During this time the the two machines we have with de based
ethernet cards with both UTP and Co-ax connectors decided to
switch to co-ax. Naturally when the hubs came back the cards
didn't....

Using "ifconfig de0 media UTP" fixed the problem. At the moment
I don't say what media type to use when initially ifconfig'ing
the card. If I did would the card refuse to change media unless
ifconfig'ed again? It would be nice to have some protection
from this.

	David.