Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:20:51 -0400 (ART)
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports vs standard sources

Hi all!

I am new to FreeBSD and just starting to get the grasp of the 'ports'
concept. I have already installed a few and found that is really a great
thing to have. However I also noticed that many of them are outdated and
also read a few posts suggesting to grab standard sources and compile
without using the ports. From my limited knowledge - and reading the
Handbook did not help me clarify this - this is how i see things.

i) first of all I thought that ports were necessary because things would
not compile straight otherwise.
ii) however several mentions to compile things without using ports have
made me think that this is not true in all cases.

Then my question is: how do autoconf based compilation work in FreeBSD? -
I mean sources that use GNU autoconf to generate a configure script (that
in turn generates a Makefile)?

If autoconf-configure work OK, then the idea of ports is just to help
download-patch-compile in an automated way?

Another question: I noticed that some ports did run a configure script
before compiling, however, I could not pass any custom option to
configure, since it was all part of the port 'make' procedure. How can I
manually add options before compiling?
(Example: suppose I want to compile php as an apache module. I would run
configure on php sources like this: ./configure
--with-apache=../apache_1.3.x). How would you this with ports?

Thanks in advance,

Fernan

--

Fernan Aguero