Date:      21 Jan 2001 06:53:44 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        "Matt Dillon" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Limit on the number of disklabel entries?

"Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net> writes:
> Is this ever an issue for anyone with very, very large disks or arrays where
> a large number of logical filesystems might be desired?  If my math is
> right, there's a limit of 24 filesystems per disk, which is really only 20
> if you exclude /, swap, /var, and /usr.

No, it's seven times four = 28. Each slice can have eight partitions,
one of which (c) is reserved. B doesn't have a special meaning anymore
- you can swap and dump to any partition you like, and there's nothing
to stop you from putting a filesystem on b. D isn't reserved any more,
so you can use it for anything you like. A only has a special meaning
insofar as the boot code will default to boot off the a partition on
the first FreeBSD slice it finds, but otherwise you can use it for
anything you like.

If "very, very large disks or arrays" really are a problem, you can
use a volume manager (such as vinum, or in a pinch, ccd) to split a
partition into many logical volumes, each of which can hold a single
partition.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org