Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:56:38 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net>
Subject:   Re: Hang problem with spamass-milter...

> Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:02:36 -0400
> From: Joe Talbott <josepht@cstone.net>

> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 03:07:47PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > You sure this is the trigger, and not an email over 250k?  An unpatched
> > spamass-milter will definitely hang on any email that spamc decides is
> > too big to process (250k default).  There are patches at
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/spamass-milt/ that fix this problem
> > and add some more functionality ( see patches 349, 351, 354, 381, 385 ).
> > Most of the patches require a CVS checkout, though, which is probably
> > why the port doesn't include them.
>
> I applied patch 349 to the port and reinstalled.  I'm still having issues
> with multiple mails coming in at approximately the same time hanging
> spamass-milter/spamc.
>
> To repeat:
>
> for i in `jot 10 1`; do
> 	echo "test $i" | mail -s "test $i" email@dom.com
> done
>
> I also applied patch 372 which didn't solve the problem.
>
> Joe

After running into various problems trying to build spamass-milter
from source (ie GNU/linux-y dependencies, etc), my decision was to go
with Mimedefang instead.. although I don't have it setup yet.

Mimedefang runs as a sendmail milter and also has built-in support
for Spam Assassin, so it seems that you get Spam Assassin plus the
additional benefit of attachment blocking/filtering/munging, virus
scanning (if you have an AV program installed) and presumably a more
stable piece of code. (since Mimedefang seems to be widely and
successfully deployed)  There is an up to date port also.

(Speaking of ports - is it really true that the spamass-milter port
has been around since April, judging by the date I see listed in the
Makefile?  I had a long discussion with Dan Nelson only 3 weeks ago
about issues building spamass-milter from source, and the impression
I got at the time was there was no port yet??)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium