Date:      Fri, 02 May 2003 06:57:56 +0107 (CEST)
From:      "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <FST777@phreaker.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   some experiences so far (regarding Gnome, XFce and GTK+)

I was installing Gnome a few days ago just to check it out (I'm desperately
in love with XFce) when a roommate caused a powercrash. I wasn't able to
boot for a while (read: I was too impatient to read that I had to run fsck
MANUALLY in single user mode). It also appeared that my cleaning-action
afterwards (get rid of all that Gnome-stuff my disk) did something else
than what I had in mind (but I guess it did exactly what I asked for...)

Anyhow, I reinstalled almost everything, screwed around with xdm the wrong
way (had something to do with a half-installed edition of gdm I guess) wich
prevented me from logging in for a few days (after that I discovered
Ctrl-Alt-F1). I ended up with the new versions of XFce and Gaim.

That is where the frustration began (yes, not until there...):
I need (don't ask why) a consisting looking desktop: all programs I use
should use the same toolkit, so that everywhere my scrollbars and buttons
look exactly the same. This is nearly impossible, so I could live with some
qt-based programs (but always looking for gtk-based replacements).
But:
XFce uses GTK+ 1; Gaim uses GTK+ 2.

I cannot find any details about how to change themes for GTK on the net
(checked some major sites), I don't have the usefull tools Gnome can
provide, the XFce-themechooser doesn't work (the builder of XFce doesn't
know why) and that would only be sufficient for all the GTK+ 1-based
programs (this is where gtk-theme-switch comes in handy). I like the theme
XFce has given to all the GTK+ 1-based programs, but the theme Gaim is
using now is UGLY. I managed to addept the colors by installing
gtk-xfce-engine (wich wasn't so hard :) )

I don't want to know how to change the themes from you all, but my question
in general is:
why does it appear so hard to find any good documentation about GTK+?
Normally I can find my way around fairly easily, but I'm almost stuck now!
Can't find man-pages, can't find docs on the net covering this issue... is
there something wrong with me?

PS: as you've might have seen between the lines: I now use gtk-theme-switch
for GTK1. There is a version of this program for GTK2, but there is no
FreeBSD-port yet...