Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 00:26:23 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   WARNING!  Builds from the last few days have BROKEN NFS

WARNING!

All -current builds from the last few days have BROKEN NFS client code.

The symptom is hung jobs during file lookups.  Once it happens, any lookup
for that filename also hangs (even from a different process).  Eventually,
if you're not watching the store, you'll run out of either page space or
process slots (or both).

This is a particularly nasty problem.  I have as of yet been unable to
isolate the rogue commit which caused this.

A kernel extracted from one week ago (Sept 20th) DOES NOT exhibit the
problem.

There were a boatload of files in the kernel structure changed between
those two dates; I don't know which commit(s) are responsible for this, but
its a nasty problem and one which all -current users should be aware of.

AGAIN - AS OF RIGHT NOW, NFS IS BROKEN TO THE POINT OF BEING BASICALLY
USELESS IN -CURRENT.  Roll back one week (to Sept 19th/20th) if you need
working NFS clients in your kernels!

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | NEW! K56Flex modem support is now available
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| 56kbps DIGITAL ISDN DOV on analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal