Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:18:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robin Carey <bsc4093@dcs.napier.ac.uk>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: core dumping

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <Pine.SO4.4.01.9908282052560.28355-100000@artemis>,
> Robin Carey  <bsc4093@dcs.napier.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Whilst running a very small executable, FreeBSD-3.1 decided to pump 110
> > megs of core-file into my space restricted H/D :)
>
> Your program must have managed to allocate that much memory before
> it bit the dust.

Mmmmm .... I don't think so.

The program was using assert(3) - I believe this had something to do with
the problem.

Whilst the program/process was dumping core (took about 10 mins to
complete) the core-dumping process/program would not respond to a ^C or a
^Z. I never got around to trying a kill(1) -9 ....

Unrelated: cp(1) "-r" flag is not documented in the cp(1) manual page. It
appears to do the same thing as "-R".