Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:20:41 -0800
From:      Evan Martin <evan@chromium.org>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        chromium@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why chrome doesn't see plugins installed into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins?

I wrote the code in this area for Chrome, years ago.

The various unixes are hilariously fragmented in this area: even
different Linux distros demand different plugin directories[1].  My
recollection is that nspluginwrapper has an enormous list of
directories to scan, while Chrome's is more modest.

As far as I know there's no standard place to look for browser
plugins, so I tried to make Chrome match the code in Firefox.
However, it could be that Firefox had different code for FreeBSD, and
I likely ignored that code when writing the Chrome code.

Here's a link to the list of paths searched in Chrome:
  http://code.google.com/searchframe#OAMlx_jo-ck/src/webkit/plugins/npapi/plugin_list_posix.cc&l=144
(note: the word "posix" in these files is a shorthand for "unix-like
systems that aren't weird like macos", which I know isn't what posix
means)

[1] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_a44fefe7cd70694cf9e7327134c89b5f.xml