Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:24:36 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche@ua.ac.be>
Cc:        "mail.list freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UFS partitioning

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 11:53:23 +0100 (CET), Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche@ua.ac.be> wrote:
> I know / is the "root partition", but /root is the home-directory of
> the user root (/etc/passwd: root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh).
> I doubt this will ever be needed to be large?

There is no special advice about what /root should contain.
As you mentioned correctly, this content belongs to the
system administrator "root". In the most cases I've seen,
root stores a backup of configuration files and useful
scripts that no one else should be able to use. And when
you take into mind that many users use the sudo command
instead of logging in as root, there's less use for this
directory. My thought: It won't get large.

> If its not large
> fsck neither will spend much time in it. So I guess it's just safe
> not to make this a separate BSD-partiton ?

No separate partition, correct. It's okay to make / at 1 GB max,
and fsck won't run for long.

> Yes, but it's hard to find out what is best... I'm constantly
> swinged between the one (/ including /tmp /var /usr) and the
> other (all separate) option ...

In fact, there is no "the best", it completely depends on what
you're going to do with the system.

It has been explained before, but I'd like to mention some
advantages of the "partitions approach" and the "one partition
approach": The first one allows you to dump / restore data
partition-wise, but when a partition is occupied 100%, the
trouble starts. You don't have this problem when you have
everything on one partition, but a "runaway disk space
consumer" (e. g. a faulty program) can occupy all disk
space causing problems for processes that would like to
write to /tmp or /var. Finally, changing the paradigm would
usually be combined with a complete re-installation.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0