Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 11:29:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
Cc:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu, FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SPAM target

> >well.. I think we should call the FBI.. it's a national matter as
> >he has crossed state lines... as he's spamming our "fax machines"
> >across the country (and world wide)...
>
> Some dweeb threatened me with:
>
>      By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
>      meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)
>      (1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to
>      such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary
>      loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for EACH violation.
>
> For a customer's news posting?!  Right and you read the subject and *still*
> read the message.  FO.

You're missing the point.  The point is that the _customer advertised
to is paying the bulk of the cost for the advertising_.  That's why
fax-advertising was prohibited, too - you could just look at the
headline and throw it away,  but _you_ were paying for it anyway.

I'd have liked a class-action suit - I'm getting terribly tired of
spam...

Eivind.