Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2009 14:50:24 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS: unlimited arc cache growth?

Hi,

to fs@, please CC me, as I'm not subscribed.

I monitored (by hand) a while the sysctls kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.size =20
and kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.hdr_size. Both grow way higher (at some =20
point I've seen more than 500M) than what I have configured in =20
vfs.zfs.arc_max (40M).

After a while FS operations (e.g. pkgdb -F with about 900 packages... =20
my specific workload is the fixup of gnome packages after the removal =20
of the obsolete libusb port) get very slow (in my specific example I =20
let the pkgdb run several times over night and it still is not =20
finished).

The big problem with this is, that at some point in time the machine =20
reboots (panic, page fault, page not present, during a fork1). I have =20
the impression (beware, I have a watchdog configured, as I don't know =20
if a triggered WD would cause the same panic, the following is just a =20
guess) that I run out of memory of some kind (I have 1G RAM, i386, max =20
kmem size 700M). I restarted  pkgdb several times after a reboot, and =20
it continues to process the libusb removal, but hey, this is anoying.

Does someone see something similar to what I describe (mainly the =20
growth of the arc cache way beyond what is configured)? Anyone with =20
some ideas what to try?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
When you go out to buy, don't show your silver.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137