Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:10:36 +0100
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        <Raf_Schietekat@ieee.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions" <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kdm op 4.4-R

Hello Raf,

sorry for the wrong name in my last post, seems I should use bigger
fonts. :-)
Even worse, I forgot one important step to enable kdm:

Edit /etc/ttys to make the line with xdm look like:

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

Note: not kdmdesktop!

Then do a:
kill -1 1
to make init reread its config file. kdm should then start
automagically.

If this doesn't work, switch back to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), in the
above line change back "on" to "off", and kill -1 1 again. Kill any
eventually running kdm instances by hand.

To sort things out, you were able to "startkde" from the console both as
normal user and as root? Were there any error messages?

Next as root try "kdm -nodaemon" from the console. Are there any error
messages?
kdm should start up and enable a login for you.
If kde or the default twm+xterm is started can be adjusted globally in
the below mentioned files or on a per user basis in their home
directories.

I take this back on list to give others a chance to comment:

> I've got xdm and KDE
> running from packages, it's kdm (/usr/local/bin/kdmdesktop) that I
want
> to get running, to be able to choose my environment at login time, and
> perhaps bypass X for root (unless there's a better way to bypass X at
> any time?). I've explained the problems in an earlier mail. (Now I've
>got another one since I changed root's .xsession and .xinitrc to
>"startkde": I can do startx for root when xdm is disabled, but if xdm
is
>enabled it goes right back to the login screen (root only, my user
>account works fine with the same .xsession and .xinitrc files). Could
>this be interference from having all those packages installed? One of
>them, WindowMaker, had already enabled itself as root's window manager,
>without my permission.)

Make sure what you want:
- kdm? Enable it in /etc/ttys, then you only have to tell which window
manager should be started.
- Console login? Then disable kdm/xdm in /etc/ttys and launch X with
startx plus the needed configuration of your window manager.

As to your original post: I never succeeded in any of the "su"
possibilities of kcontrol. They seem to use some Linuxisms.
I'm not sure if su in an xterm then launching kcontrol from there
worked, and I'm not on my FBSD box at the moment.
For sure it worked to login as root in kdm and start then kcontrol by
any method.
If things don't work, prefer to launch commands from xterm; then you
will see error messages, which are often very informative. :-))

> > So, let's try this another way. Has anyone gotten kdm to work on
4.4-R?
> > How did you do it?
>
> Yes, I have it working on 4.4-Stable, cvsupped some days ago.
> I compiled XFree86-4 out of the ports, added x11/wrapper (not needed
for
> kdm, but to enable ordinary users to "startx") and afterwards did a
> portupgrade -N x11/kde2
>
> Now I changed the global configuration files for xdm and xinit
(instead
> of doing this in each user's home directory) to start
> /usr/local/bin/startkde instead of the standard twm+xterms+goodies.
> Those xdm/xinit config files are found in:
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

Hope I didn't forget another thing this time.

Ciao
Siegbert